Wednesday, 10 March 2010

Good things come to those who Comment.

So, after one comment on ITIABTWC went wildly astray, and got bitched at by some anonymous person (see previous post), the one I made today has attracted attention from the advertising elite!

This is the comment I made:

Comedy doesn't make it through the focus groups -

Americans are much more open to advertising in the sense that they know it's there, they know why, and they don't take as much affront to is as us Brits do. They see it as a service. How else would that Superbowl slot get so expensive? People want to see the new ads as much as agencies want them to. They also do take time to watch ads if they like them/ the featured product. Which is one reason why stuff like QVC is so popular over there.

Brits have this weird idea that liking adverts means you're falling for their evil, evil lies - and that stigmatism means the people in focus groups want adverts to be as bland and obvious as possible, in case someone gets 'tricked' into buying something. And therefore funny ads get ditched, and we are left with Direct Line-esque humour that no-one actually thinks is funny.

Basically Americans can take their advertising with a pinch of salt, and we can't.



And this is the comment I got back:


How ace is that? I am totally proud of myself. Like when I got in the Guardian. Sell Sell and john w. liked it too. Chuffing brilliant.

My Hiatus continues however, as I veto miserable posts. This one is happy so it doesn't count.

Rubes x

3 comments:

  1. Ummm my formatting has gone to poo-land. Sorry bout that I'm not sure how to fix it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does that mean Dave is now following you? Or your twitter?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure. I'm pretty sure he's a busy man, possibly hasn't got back to it yet. I still have 4 followers, but could be RSS subscribed?

    I feel like a crazy fangirl!

    ReplyDelete