On Wednesday morning I'm off to Edinburgh to talk to Zoe Martin, Senior Copywriter at The Gate agency: http://www.nonlinemagazine.com/personnel/creative/profile-zoe-martin
While I've been searching around for Scottish agencies for a while, I only found The Gate a few days ago - they sneakily don't have an easy website name! When I did find their website, I was happy to see an old friend from the past in their case studies:

These posters were all around my High School, and apart from one in the nurses office about skin cancer which had a man on a kebab rack and was... scary... They are actually the only ones I remember. Oh, and some healthy eating thing with fruit in sweet wrappers - cliche on toast anyone?
But these, aimed at raising awareness and lessening stigma around mental ill health, really stuck with me. It was lovely to put an agency to something which means a lot to my own past. They really struck me. They made me think - 'Do I label people like that? I shouldn't.' and since then I have remembered them any time someone makes a passing (derogatory) comment about someone they 'know' with mental health problems. This is the one they feature on their website, but there was also a girl with a necklace that read 'anorexic' as far as I remember.
I remember saying to someone, 'Hey that's clever, isn't it?' and them replying rather unenthusiastically. Perhaps this is where it all started for me? Where I started to appreciate advertising? Who knows. But it wasn't with kebab man, that's for sure.
So, I'm really looking forward to talking to Zoe about life in Scottish Advertising. My first real agency meeting! Scary! But what fun we shall have!
Rubes x
No comments:
Post a Comment