Tuesday, 1 December 2009

Home is where the Heart is...

So, I was back home in bonny Scotland over the weekend. I love it. I get home, I see stars! Literally! I had forgotten how many there are up there! Among other things I visited Edinburgh for a day. Now, city living is not cheap, especially if you don't actually live there. £11.30 is the railcard price for the train. Then the fact that the trains go at odd times meant entertaining myself for 4 hours on a budget of as-little-as-possible.

So of course, my metropolitan mind bought a Guardian, and a lot of coffee. Is it just me or is coffee never worth what you pay for it? Starbucks, not worth it. Nero, Almost worth it if the barista is decent and doesn't burn the milk. Truck-stop slop, not worth it and possibly not even coffee... So I invite you to sample the Southern Cross on Cockburn street, just up from the station. Smiley Aussie waitresses and coffee that, while not as posh as some, is at least well made and reasonably priced. They also do a mean Haggis.

I also visited the National Museum , one of the best places to while away hours in Edinburgh - because it is warm, free, and almost burrow-like, you can get lost and found and lost all over again. The adjoining Royal Museum is currently under refurbishment, so I couldn't visit the Millenium Clock (hold off all visits until May '11, you don't want to miss this!) but I did get a good 2 hours meandering from the other galleries. Salt of the Earthwas a definite highlight. An exhibition of portrait photography by Chris Mackay, featuring influential Scots and persons of Scottish decent, as part of the Homecoming 2009 national celebration. [on a side note, kids in Scotland were given St. Andrews day off this year. Screw you Salmond! I demand 14 extra days holiday that I missed out on while at school.]


Some images from Salt of the Earth. Quote from Rosanne Cash, Daughter of Johnny Cash, who can trace roots back to 11th century Scottish noblemen.

I would also like to say Thanks to Crabbit Copywriter (over there in my sidebar) for taking time to come and chat with me about Scottish Advertising. Between us we met a charming drunk bloke (Who thought John Knox was called John Muir and that we were both American), had a good natter about Uni, the differences between London, the rest of England and Scotland, and she gave me some good advice so Thank you very much, CC.

No comments:

Post a Comment